It’s been a month since I’ve started this blog.
One whole month!
I can’t believe how much fun I am having.
In fact I wish I had started blogging sooner. =)
In honor of my 1 month I am giving you a recipe of my favorite childhood favorite meal…Hamburger Pie. This is a meal that my Grandma made for me every summer when my sister and I would visit her and my Grandpa at the lake. My sister liked lasagna and I liked hamburger pie. So the two were bound to end up on the dinner table at some point.
I can still remember my Grandpa telling me to just eat my dinner and not stir it all together. lol
I was a kid. Of course I was going to mix everything up.
Good times. Good times. =)
So what is hamburger pie? It’s similar to Shepherd’s Pie but tomato soup is used as the sauce instead of a beef gravy.
Here is what you need to get started:
As you can see it really doesn’t take much to make this. Just one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much.
Start by cutting up your potatoes in to bite size pieces.
Then boil until fork tender.
Saute half an onion. I honestly don’t think that my Grandma ever added onion to her hamburger pie but it’s an onion. I put onion in almost everything that I cook.
Add your hamburger and cook until brown. At this point I also seasoned with salt and pepper.
Add 1 can of green beans and 1 can of tomato soup. I used cut green beans here but you can use French cut if you like.
Stir all together and it turns in to this lovely mass of goodness.
Mash up your potatoes adding milk, butter, salt and pepper just like you would if you were eating them for dinner. Now add an egg. Yes, an egg. This will help with the browning process while it is in the oven. (This is what my Grandma tells me. I’ll be honest. I must not leave it in the oven long enough because mine never gets brown. lol)
Now comes the layering of the casserole. Put the hamburger mixture in the bottom of a square casserole dish.
Now top with the mashed potatoes.
Enjoy a nice glass of wine while it bakes in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.
Doesn’t that look scrumptious?!
I like to serve with a nice salad on the side.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 can cut green beans
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 potatoes
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and chop potatoes. Boil until fork tender.
- Saute onion in a little oil.
- Add hamburger and cook until brown.
- Drain any excess oil from the hamburger and return to the pan.
- Add the green beans and the tomato soup to the hamburger. Season with S&P. Stir together
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water. Proceed to mash and season with butter, milk and S&P.
- Add an egg to the mashed potatoes and stir well.
- Spray an 8″ square casserole dish with Pam. Layer first the hamburger mixture and then the mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a salad on the side.
Hope you all enjoy one of my favorite meals from my childhood. What are some of yours?