I made this dish a few months back. It was so so good. In fact one of my friends saw me post about it on FB and inquired about how it was made. He then made it himself and absolutely loved it! What can be better than chicken, smoked sausage, corn on the cob (love corn on the cob!), potatoes and veggies all in a foil packet? Nothing! Nothing is better than this dish. It is that good!
So the original recipe for this calls for the packets to be grilled. As you all learned by now I don’t have a grill. So I cooked mine in the oven. I don’t feel that it was lacking any flavor. I really don’t.
They are so easy to put together too. I’ll admit I’m a little OCD at times. So I add each item at one at a time in order to make sure each packet has the same amount. It takes a little bit of time to do this but this way I will get an equal amount of veggies, meat and potatoes in every single packet. It’s worth the extra bit of time to me.
The beauty of a foil packet is you can add whatever you want to it. You like red bell peppers and onions, add them! You want sausage and shrimp, do it! Maybe chicken and sausage or all three, that works too!!
You can also individualize these if you want. Have a picky eater in the house you doesn’t like peppers? Leave them out. Got a meat and potato kind of guy, just add more meat and more potatoes. It’s as easy as that.
Here’s how you make them:
There are a couple of ways you can do this. One – you can separate all of your ingredients in to their respective packets, then one by one put each packet’s contents in a bowl, sprinkle with some EVOO and the dried seasonings. Stir together to coat everything and add back to the packet. I did this the first time and quite honestly I think this is how I will do it moving forward. It takes longer but I liked it best.
Two – you can mix all of the ingredients together in one large bowl – meat, veggies, seasoning and oil. Then divide between the packets. This is most definitely the fastest way and what I would recommend to people who aren’t as OCD as me and don’t care if one packet has slightly more of one ingredient than another packet.
You can also do as I did this time, but I prefer either of the other methods over this one. All three will get you the same result. It’s just a matter of preference really.
Prep your chicken by first mixing up the seasoning for it. I used EVOO, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
Combine together and mix with bite sized chicken pieces.
Slice up the smoked turkey sausage and toss with the chicken.
Tear up 5 pieces of aluminum foil to use as your packets. I like to line them up to make it easier to assemble.
I start by adding the corn on the cob, well half an ear.
Next add the chicken and then the smoked sausage. Yes, I said earlier to mix both together. But remember I’m slightly OCD. So I add first the chicken and then the sausage. I count out the pieces for each packet. You don’t have to do this. Absolutely not. Eyeball it and you should be fine. I like things to be a bit more precise.
Tell me that isn’t starting to look good. Yumm!
Next add the mushrooms, potatoes and squash.
Hey all, I used my scale for the first time tonight!
I needed err wanted to know how many oz’s of potatoes I had. I couldn’t remember from when I bought them. Since they do count as points I couldn’t just guess.
So now all of the the ingredients have been added. Fold up each packet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Are you ready for one of the best meals ever?!
Here it is!!
So so good!
Here’s the recipe.
Foil Packets with Chicken, Smoked Turkey Sausage and Veggies
10 points per serving – serving are large may be able to divide in to more but will need more corn on the cob and possibly more potatoes if doing so
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 5 half ears of corn ( I used frozen since they are already prepared and halved)
- 5 baby red potatoes (1 for each packet)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half moons
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced in half moons
- 8 oz of button mushrooms, rinsed (or wiped off with a paper towel) and halved
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Tear off 5 sheets of aluminum foil. You want the sheets to be large enough to hold your food and be folded over to seal. Mine were roughly a foot to a foot and a half long.
- Mix seasoning together with olive oil and stir together with chicken and sausage. You can mix the veggies in as well if you like. I did not. But it’s completely up to you.
- Place one half ear of corn in each packet. Divide the meat and the veggies evenly between the packets.
- For sealing, fold the aluminum foil in half over your fold. Then fold the outer edge over toward the center like when making a calzone. Do this all the way around the round part of the packet until you get to the other side. You want to keep everything sealed in so that none of the juices run out and your food is able to steam.
- Place packets on sheet pans (just in case there is any leakage, I’ve never had any though) and bake for 30 minutes. You can bake longer if needed but at the high temperature 30 minutes should be enough.
- Be careful when opening the packets, the steam will be very hot.
I hope you all love these as much as I do. If you make them please share pictures. I can’t wait to see what you create!