I love Chicken Parmesan! Do you love Chicken Parmesan? Of course you do! Who doesn’t?
So Olive Garden Chicken Parm is 32 points. Yikes! Now that includes the spaghetti that is served with it but still, wow. Not sure how much it would be if you were to make it at home but my guess is it would still be 10-15 points, including the spaghetti.
Mine, however, 4 points! Yay! Ok, not exactly mine but hers. Mine now though because I will be making this recipe time and time again. It is that good!
I did decide to omit the spaghetti. Spaghetti noodles and sauce would probably tack on another 8 points. Still not terrible. 12 points for a meal. But if you add roasted green beans and a salad such as I did, you have yourself a 5 point dinner. That’s even better!
Tell me that doesn’t look good. Oh my! It’s as good as it looks. Let me tell ya!
What makes this version healthier than normal Chicken Parm? I’m so glad you asked. First and foremost, the chicken is baked rather than fried. Secondly, the chicken is only breaded on one side. Weird right? I thought so. Trust me though, you won’t even notice when you’re eating it.
So…this is how you make it.
Gather your ingredients and take a picture. Oops! That’s what I do. You don’t have to do that. I mean, unless you want to. Completely up to you. lol
Mix together the breading for the chicken – panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian season, salt and pepper.
I just love the look of seasoned flour, breadcrumbs, etc.
Beat an egg and set up your dredging station.
Spray a sheet pan with Pam or whatever cooking spray that you use and start dredging. Now, remember to only bread one side of the chicken breast. This will feel slightly weird because it’s not what you’re used to. After the first one though, it won’t feel weird anymore. At least it didn’t for me. Spray the top of the chicken, after breading, with Pam to help get extra crunchy and brown.
For the green beans, cut off the tips and toss in a bowl with some Pam, salt and pepper. Lay as many green beans around the chicken as you can. If needed, use a separate sheet pan.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. If your chicken is cut thin, 15 minutes will be enough.
Spread the marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce of your choosing, beware this may change your point value, over the top of the chicken breast. I’m going to be honest here, I didn’t think half a cup of the sauce would be enough. In fact, when I first decided to make this recipe, I put the recipe in the WW app and entered 1 1/4 cups of both the sauce and the mozzarella cheese. I just knew I was going to put a 1/4 cup on each. Also thought I would be making 5 instead of 4, hence the 1 1/4 cup.
I was so wrong though. All you will need is 1/2 cup of each your sauce and your mozzarella cheese. Back to spreading the sauce on each chicken…then top with the shredded cheese. Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes so that the cheese will melt.
This looks promising, doesn’t it?!
After 5 minutes, pull the chicken out of the oven. If your cheese is not fully melted, leave it in for a couple more minutes. I thought mine needed a little more color and decided to sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top. Excellent decision if I say so myself. Which I do! =)
Doesn’t it look so good? You know it does!
Here’s the recipe.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
4 points per chicken breast
- 1 lb chicken breasts (this doesn’t have be exact, I think mine was more like 1.34 lbs)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning plus some to sprinkle on top of cheese at the end
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb green beans (or however much you like)
- Pam cooking spray
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (I used garlic and basil) *note if you use one w/ meat, it will be higher in points
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Place in a dish so that the chicken can easily be placed in it for breading.
- Beat the egg and place in a similar style dish.
- Place one side of the chicken in the egg followed by the panko mixture. Press the chicken down in the breading mixture so that as much as possible will stick to it. Place breading side up on a sprayed baking sheet.
- Repeat for remaining chicken breasts. Spray tops of chicken with Pam to help brown and get crispy.
- Cut ends off green beans and toss with Pam, salt and pepper. Spread green beans around edge of baking sheet.
- Put chicken and green beans in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Pull out of oven and spread first the spaghetti sauce evenly over the chicken, then the shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and put back in the oven for roughly 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did. Share your pictures if you make it! =)